Strength is the cornerstone of fitness. Building muscle allows you to hit harder and move faster, and it also enhances your ability to effectively lose weight and withstand injury. By increasing your strength, you’re also improving your health.
There are a variety of exercise routines fitness enthusiasts can use to build muscle. Foods like high protein, low carb bars can also help in building muscle without contributing to unnecessary weight gain.
Some of the most effective strategies for building strength and muscle mass include:
- Get back to basics –The bench press, shoulder press, deadlift, and squat are time-honored exercises for a good reason – they work. Incorporate these basic exercises into your routine, and you’ll soon begin seeing results. Also add classics like the chin-up and the row to your workout.
- Gradually increase weight – A key reason why many exercise enthusiasts hit a wall in building muscle is that they try to ramp up weight too quickly. Don’t turn your workout into a competition with others. Do your lifts using a little less than your max weight for lifting in the rep range of your exercise. Slowly increase weight over time, and don’t add large amounts at one time. This slow burn will allow greater success in building strength.
- Maintain balance to avoid injury – An injury will quickly put your bid to increase your muscle mass to a screeching halt. There are several ways to avoid injury, and one of the most effective is balancing your training. Make sure you do both pushing and pulling exercises to ensure your muscle development is even. Exercises don’t have to be balanced in one session, but it is wise to balance your exercises within the same week. Also, don’t forget leg day.
- Work out standing up – When you work out while you’re standing, you’ll use more muscles and burn more calories. There are a number of great dumbbell exercises you can use in a standing position to increase your strength. The great thing about these exercises is that they work your core and your mid-section, too.
- Consume plenty of protein – Protein is essential to building and maintaining muscle. Men and women trying to build muscle mass should consume one gram of protein for every pound of body weight each day. Spread the protein out over several small meals each day for maximum effectiveness. There are a variety of sources where exercise enthusiasts can obtain protein, but one of the best involves eating high protein bars. These bars are healthy, have high protein content, and many derive protein from sources other than animal protein. Animal protein can contribute to kidney stones, so obtaining protein from non-animal sources is a good idea if you’re stepping up your consumption of this nutrient.
With the right diet and exercise regimen, you can increase your strength and muscle mass, resulting in a healthier, more impressive body.
Promax Nutrition gives people who want better bodies the natural protein, vitamins, and minerals they need in delicious, gluten-free, vegetarian snack bars.