Protein plays a critical role in building and maintaining a healthy body, providing critical components for forming muscles and bones, and even hair and fingernails. For fitness enthusiasts, increasing protein intake is important for burning calories and building muscle, and vegetarian protein bars are a great way to get the nutrients you need without absorbing harmful substances contained in meat-based sources of protein.
Protein performs a number of critical services for the body, including:
- Building body parts – Protein can be found in just about every cell in the human body. Specialized proteins known as structural proteins help provide structure and support for the body, and collagens are another form of protein present in bones, ligaments, skin, and tendons. Collagen helps support connective tissues.
- Building immunity – Protein is a critical component of the body’s immune system, and a key component of antibodies, which help track down and destroy harmful bacteria or viruses. People who don’t get enough protein are at greater risk of falling ill and will have a tougher time recovering than those who have an adequate amount of protein in their diets.
- Transporting nutrients – Proteins help move potassium, sodium, and other critical vitamins and nutrients throughout the body. It also plays a critical role in bringing oxygen from the lungs and into the body via hemoglobin.
- Weight loss – Consuming protein can aid in weight loss. Protein has a high thermic effect, meaning that it burns faster than other nutrients like fat or carbohydrates. It is also more satiating than other nutrients. This means that consuming protein will leave you feeling full longer than you would if you ate other foods. By prolonging the feeling of fullness, you’ll reduce any unnecessary food intake.
- Forming enzymes – Protein helps form enzymes such as pepsin and lactase, which are critical for digestion and the efficient absorption of nutrients from food.
As you can see, protein plays a critical role in health and fitness. Unfortunately, many people seeking to become fit don’t consume enough protein when they diet. How much protein you should consume will depend upon a number of variables, including your gender, weight, age, and other factors. In general, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends:
- Three servings, for a total of seven ounces per day, for teenage boys and active men.
- Two servings, for a total of five ounces per day, for children ages 2 to 6, the majority of women, and most older adults.
- Two servings, for a total of six ounces per day, for older boys and girls, teenage girls, active women, and most men.
A nutritionist or trainer can help fitness enthusiasts determine how much protein is right for them, and whether sources like vegetarian energy bars are the right choice.
Promax Nutrition provides a convenient solution for people seeking the protein, vitamins, and minerals they need to build better bodies. Delicious, vegetarian, and gluten-free, Promax bars are a tasty alternative for fitness enthusiasts seeking quality nutrition.