Picture it: you wake up, get dressed, grab an energy bar, and head out into the early morning light. Your purpose—running. Running is, by far, one of the most popular forms of exercise today. When you run, you can get your heart rate up quickly, helping you burn calories. Over time, your body will build up more stamina, and you will be able to run even longer distances. Running and fitness go hand-in-hand. However, if you are new to the world of running, it can seem a little intimidating. Here are 10 reasons why you should add running to your daily exercise routine.
1. Fewer doctor visits -- When you are physically active, especially an intense activity like running, you lower your chances of developing breast and/or colon cancer. It can also help lower your blood pressure with just a few weeks of regular running.
2. Longer life -- Runners have shown to have a longer life span than those who don't actively run. They also tend to have fewer disabilities.
3. Burn, baby, burn -- Running is one of the best ways to burn calories fast. A person who weighs around 150-160 pounds can burn up to 800 calories in an hour.
4. No limits -- Unlike other exercises that require special equipment and locations, as long as you have a good pair of running shoes, you can run anywhere and anytime. Not only do you have freedom, you can also save lots of money on expensive gym memberships and equipment.
5. Mental health -- Regular exercise, such as running, can keep you mentally fit, as well as physically fit, even reducing signs of dementia as you get older.
6. Be social -- Running is a great way to meet new people. Whether you join a gym or just run at the park, you will find lots of other runners along the way.
7. Bring a pet -- Running is a great way to spend some quality time with your dog. It's also a great way to make sure your furry friend gets his exercise, too!
8. All weather -- With running, you can run outside when it's beautiful weather, and when the weather is yucky, you can hit the treadmill. You will never have to miss a running session due to the weather, because it is such a versatile exercise.
9. Keep calm -- Running has been shown to boost the levels of serotonin in your brain, which helps keep you feeling relaxed and calm.
10. A good night's sleep -- Running, like other exercises, helps you to get a more restful sleep at night, which means you will wake up feeling refreshed and ready to face the world. Now that you have more than enough reasons to start running, go ahead and put on your running shoes—it's time for you to hit the road to a long and healthy life.
To learn more about the benefits of running, and how our bars can help fuel your body before and after a long run, contact us at Promax Nutrition.