From short weekend beach trips to week long family getaways, and other such travel, it can be challenging to maintain you normal exercise, fitness, and dietary routines. Not to mention, you do not always have access to the same conveniences you have at home and at your local fitness center. Some people will tell you since you are on vacation, you should relax, splurge, and enjoy yourself.
However, you might be the type of person who will not be happy with themselves after returning home having packed on five or ten additional pounds. The following suggestions and tips are ideal for both personal and business travel and will help you stay in shape, while still enjoying your summer adventures.
- Pack Workout Tools – Resistance bands, water weights, and jump ropes do not take up much room in your carry on or checked bags. These tools help you get in a 20 or 30 minute workout before heading out for the day.
- Utilize the Amenities in Your Hotel Room – Pack dry oatmeal, protein bars, and other such nutritious snacks and meals. As long as they are not liquids, you can carry them onto an airplane. If your room has a refrigerator, make a trip to a local grocery store and stock it with fresh fruit and vegetables, yogurt, and other healthy options.
- Visit Your Hotel's Fitness Center – Try to choose accommodations which feature a fitness center, to have access to exercise equipment and machines to supplement the workout tools you brought along.
- Do Your Workouts in the Morning – Getting up early while on vacation does not sound like fun. However, if you put off working out until later in the day or evening, you probably are going to feel tired and not do it. Plus, working out in the morning gives you more energy throughout the entire day.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Having easy access to water is sometimes challenging while traveling and on vacation. Make it a point to drink water throughout the day to help remain hydrated.TIP: Pack a reusable water bottle or two in your luggage and keep these in your mini fridge.
- Don't Stress if You Deviate from Your Normal Workout Routine – You are on vacation or traveling with limited access. It is okay if you deviate a little. As long as you are trying to fit in 10 minutes of exercise and sticking to a healthy diet for your snacks and at least two out of three of your daily meals, you should be close to, if not in, the same condition as when you left home.